Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Update to the LH Bibliography

I love to read. I read all the time. But it seems like there is always more to read and never enough time in which to read! I've added several more books to my LH Bibliography (top of the menu at right) and a movie! I'll jot down the new stuff here

At Reenactorfest a few weekends ago I picked up:

Living History, Brassey's Master Class by Philipp J.C. Elliot-Wright, 2000
which appears to be a book to help new reenactors pick a timeperiod, and portray it accurately. It is out of England and reminded me so much of:







Living The Past by Val Horsler, 2003
which is also out of England. I bought it for Stephen many years ago, and love pulling it back off the shelf but for some reason I had not put it on the list of books about Living History. It is definitely about Living History, even if it is more a tourist book than an academic one.






I also found this DVD at reenactorfest:


On His Majesty's Service, produced & directed by Maurice Depas, 2010
Stephen and I have watched it, but I think I want to watch it a second time before I review it.






Just recently a LHP listener and friend alerted me to a new article in Colonial Williamsburg's Magazine: Reflections on Reenacting: Seeking an Authentic Past in a Specious Present by D.A. Saguto, CW Journal, Winter 2011
Notes: Chock full of historical information and present information (like the number of current Civil War reenactors? I MUST find out where the author got that statistic.) Worth the read, I wish it was twice as long.

Included in the further reading section was a book I had not heard of:
War Games: Inside the World of Twentieth-Century War Reenactors by Jenny Thompson, 2004





And all this updating reminded me that my parents got me an LH book off my Amazon Wishlist:


Telling History: a manual for performers and presenters of first-person narratives by Joyce M. Thierer, 2009

I think those are all the updates for now. I'm sure I'll come up with more soon!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for linking to that "Reflections on Reenacting" article. I agree; would that it was twice as long!

    ReplyDelete